
Last Thursday Bryan and I drove down to check out China town in Seattle. I thought it would be fun to see Bryan use his Chinese...though I don't think Bryan had the same idea. We finally found a parking spot and thought we'd walk around before finding somewhere to eat. Our first stop was this archway that caught Bryan's eye. I think he said that the writing on it said "Gateway to China"...or something along those lines. We walked into a little grocery store and looked around at the odd "foods" (if you could even consider some of those odd, dried veggies and meats food). Bryan loved it! He was so funny to watch as he walked around pointing out things that were gross and things that he learned to like. I was particularly intrigued by the bamboo shoots cut sitting in a tub of water.
We walked around some more and finally ending up in Uwajimaya. Bryan even broke down and used some of his Chinese to find a drink he had while in Taiwan. The man stocking the shelves looked excited to help Bryan while speaking in Chinese. We bought some fun drinks and a mango to try. Unfortunately, I was let down...the mango wasn't as good as I hoped it would be...*sigh*...I'm yet to find a mango that is even close to as good as the mangoes were in Thailand and Bangladesh. It was still quite delicious though!
After looking around Uwajimaya for a while, we got some dinner (seen below). It was fun practicing with chopsticks and listening to Bryan's stories.
Before heading out Bryan wanted to try and get this special drink. We stopped into a little "coffee shop" on the corner next to where our car was parked, but they didn't have what Bryan was looking for. We got a passion fruit smoothie with "tapioca pearls" in it (Think the gummy things at the bottom of bubble tea). Bryan doesn't call them tapioca pearls, but I can't pronounce/remember what he called them in Chinese so we're going with tapioca pearls.
All in all it was a fun adventure and worth checking out if you've never been. We had a blast!


0 comments:
Post a Comment