Pages

Thursday, July 31, 2008

My Family Reunion

Challenge course team!

The weekend of fun started with my first trip to Cafe Rio...I was a little skeptical because of all the hype surrounding this seemingly ordinary Mexican restaurant. Boy was I happily surprised to discover that this was more than just a mere burrito place in Utah that people talk about; it was absolutely delicious, but much more than I could eat in one sitting. I want to try the salad the next time! The camp in Heber was beautiful! I loved being in the middle of all the quaking aspens and tall grass. The weather was great--sunny and hot! Saturday night we did get a little thunderstorm treat, which was fun to watch under the pavilion. Saturday was filled with games as we teamed up and braved the "challenge" course. We participated in a series of rope-course challenges with the pinnacle of the entire afternoon captured in the high rope course and zip line. I love that type of adrenaline rush!--climbing a telephone pole, stepping out onto a shaky cable only finding some stability and courage from the knotted ropes strategically spaced ahead of you. It was great to see my cousins and even a few aunts and uncles (go Aunt Laura!!!) climb up and, with shaking knees, make their way across the cable. Andrew and I, along with the rest of the cousins, went down to the lake and played on the boats there. Andy and I decided to take our chances with a paddle boat, which was extremely relaxing and fun, until some dear cousins of ours decided that we were all too dry! *sigh* With nothing to defend ourselves and our little boat (paddle boat= no oars/water splashing devices), we had to sit there and get drenched. With a wet camera, splattered sunglasses, and soggy shorts we paddled around the lake for a little while longer before heading back to shore. By that point, the front of my shorts were dry, but the back wasn't, so I got a number of odd looks and questions. Thanks to all my aunts, uncles and cousins (and their children) for coming to the reunion. It was fun to see everyone. Our family is sure growing fast!

Uncle Bart
Zip Line
Stage coach (Hot Lake Hotel)

2 comments:

Eric Westover said...

Good times. I love Macbeth family reunions. Why wasn't I in the "team" picture? "Hey, let's wait until Eric steps away for a minute and then take a team picture."

Carla and crew said...

I am so glad you (and Eric) thought the reunion was fun! We all know the "old geezers" like reunions, but it is gratifying to hers that you youngsters like it too! Thanks!