Pages

Saturday, July 11, 2009

The Not So *Amazing* Race...

A couple of months ago the Seattle YSA put on an "Amazing Race." For those of you unfamiliar with this TV show, the Amazing Race consists of teams following clues to destinations all around the world. The version we did was on a much smaller scale, but along the same lines. We were given clues to different Seattle landmarks, which as a team, we were to drive to before ending at Gas Works park. I was very excited to participate in this activity because I love the TV show and I already had a group of friends in mind for our "winning" team. The day of the race, an hour or so before I planned to leave, my friend called to tell me that I was on my own because he and the rest of our team changed their minds. Feeling a little high and dry, I frantically called some other friends to try and generate another team. No worries, there were plenty of people who still needed teams. At the launch location, we grouped up, decided on drivers, got our first clue, and headed off to the first location. Let me set up the scene: Driver=Garrett, Co-Pilot=Jessie, Backseat Drivers=Rachel, Alex, and I. It might also be good to note at this point that Garrett would be driving a manual sadan. Alright, we excitedly jump into the car and head to the freeway as I read the clue to the first location. It directed us to Golden Gardens beach/park in Ballard....now, I felt like I knew how to get there, but the other drivers in the car felt that it would be better to use the GPS someone had brought. After a few minutes of debating, I finally gave way and let the front-seaters decide. I let go and just sat back intent on enjoying the event. That goal was immediately threatened as Garrett began dodging and weaving through traffic and seriously pushing the speed limit. There were a number of moments when I felt that my safety, not to mention the other passenger's safety, was at serious risk and that I should get out of the car. Realizing that I had no way to get back out of Ballard, I just started getting really forceful about Garrett's speed and consideration for his passengers. It didn't help much...about as much as my directions helped get us to the location....He was insistent upon using the GPS. I will note, my directions would have gotten us to the park in a much shorter time along a more direct route, but too late now.
After what seemed like an eternity, we made it to the park, performed the necessary "challenge" there before receiving the clue to the next location: Dick's Drive-in on 45th. After buying a burger and giving it to a homeless man, we got the clue directing us to the Fremont Troll. We picked up litter there with an acting team practicing/performing all over the troll. The last leg of the race took us to a church building in Seattle, then to Gas Works park on Lake Union. To this day I'm still amazed that we made it to the park, in one piece no less. Maybe that's why they call it the "Amazing" race. :)
Highlights of the event: (1) burning clutch smell for hours after finishing the race (2) getting to visit cool places in Seattle (3) odd/scared looks back and forth between me and my friend Alex (4) The GPS taking us to a complex of apartments, rather than Dick's Drive-In (5) Garrett expecting me to unwind us after driving around in circles (6) Sitting behind Garrett's finance (Jessie) who says virtually nothing about Garrett's CRAZY driving (7) GETTING TO THE FINAL LOCATION AND GETTING OUT OF THE CAR!!!!
Once at Gas Works, I had a great time. It was a beautiful day to be at the park overlooking the lake and the city.

3 comments:

LeeAnn said...

You write a lot-good thing I've got the time to read it:) Sounds like fun.

Carla and crew said...

I love this idea! Too bad about the bad driver, but it happens! Who is the guy in the last photo? Since you are smiling, I'm guessing it is not Garrett!

The Green-Eyed Girl said...

Ha! yeah, definately not Garrett. That's actually my friend Alex...known him for a while and are just great friends.