Pages

Sunday, January 19, 2014

The Adventure Begins

I only cried from the airport to home.  Well, and when I read the sweet note he left for me sitting next to our bed.  At least I didn't fall apart as we said goodbye in the airport!  I know that we will only be apart for a little over two weeks, but it was still plenty painful to watch Carlos disappear into the crowds of Sea-Tac.  Thank goodness for Costco and retail therapy!

But, enough about me, you all want to hear about how Carlos is doing in the Dominican Republic!

He left Seattle early yesterday morning after a nearly sleepless night (he was far too anxious to sleep!). He flew to Philly where he met up with one of the other guys from group; they flew the rest of the way to the DR.

I talked to Carlos last night (thank goodness for smart phones and Skype!) and he filled me in on his first experiences in the Dominican Republic. He had a rocky start (I think he was experiencing a little bit of culture shock).  Once they got off the airplane, he quickly began to feel a bit uncomfortable, not speaking the language and not knowing who they were waiting for or where they were going. They waited at the apparently CROWDED airport for over an hour before they were picked up and transported about 20 minutes away to the hotel where they would spend the night.  His comments, "It's hot and humid like Florida, there are dirt roads, I'm hungry, and it smells weird."

He's doing much better today, after getting some sleep and some food. He sent me a couple of messages this afternoon, including some much anticipated pictures.



 
(This is the group! From left to right: Phil (beat boxer), Cole (lead), Carlos (bass), and Joe (back up/lead)

This will be our home for the next few months.  Carlos says that it's large and comfortable.

The view out of our apartment.

After moving into the apartment, they finally ate lunch....on the beach!! Beyond that, their plan for the day was to rehearse! Their first show will be tomorrow evening!!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So excited for you both!

David & Brenda said...

I am happy with you that you found Carlos and for the grand adventures you are about to have. Two weeks will seem like eternity but it will be over before you know it and then the grand adventure will really begin...together! Enjoy every minute and savor what you are doing for a lifetime. What a great opportunity!