Pages

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Gratitude is in the air...and it smells a lot like pumpkin pie!

For the past few days (*cough cough* I mean....weeks....), I've been listening to Christmas music and enjoying the build up to the holiday season. But, it can't be truly official until I count my many blessings. 
To start things off, I want to say how thankful I am that my ipod ran out of battery 4 minutes into my three-mile workout. This seemingly annoying inconvenience gave me the chance to ponder on all that I have, or rather who I have in my life. I'm indeed grateful for the temporal possessions I have that allow me to live comfortably, but very rarely do I focus my gratitude on the people that helped me in my life and who continue to help me each step of the way. As hard as it is sometimes to be away from the majority of my family, it does help me appreciate each one of them and the blessing they are in my life. And thus, the inspiration for this annual gratitude blog post!

1. I am grateful for my older brother Rob. Even though many years separate us, I've always respected Rob and his example of a righteous Priesthood holder and family patriarch. He truly is an amazing man that never ceases to impress me! I'm grateful for the examples he set for me as my older brother--he calls home every Sunday to check in with my parents and has been doing so since he moved out from their home over 15 years ago. While we may be miles apart, he always remembers my birthday and takes time to make me feel loved. I am especially grateful for his decision to marry Juliann! She set an awfully high precedent for the brothers-in-law that came into our family after her. Never once have I looked at her as anything but a sister. She may not even realize the example she has been to me, but I am grateful for how she learns to embrace the different situations in her life and make the best of them.

2. I am grateful for Karrie. I am grateful for her examples of faith and diligence. She has been and continues to be an amazing example of what it means to be a "temple-goer." I was so excited to receive my endowments because of the love she radiated for the temple and the Lord. And this year, I am also grateful for my soon-to-be brother-in-law David! I am grateful for the perma-smile he has put on Karrie's face that you not only see, but hear in her voice. Thank you David for making my sister feel like the special woman she is!

3. How grateful I am for LeeAnn!!! She has been a great example to me of a loving mother. Even while we were growing up, I always looked to LeeAnn as another mother because she is so caring. I'm grateful for her examples of how to have a happy marriage and family. She always impresses me with all the activities she does to help her kids be happy and healthy and to help herself be happy and healthy. I'm grateful for a brother-in-law who served a mission in South America; John helped me make it through the rough patches on my mission. I distinctly remember calling home for Christmas 2 years ago, most of the family was sick, but John was there on speaker phone with Mom and Dad giving me advice and encouragement. I'm grateful for someone in my family who speaks Spanish and with whom I can share Argentine memories.

4. This year in particular, I am grateful for my sister Bonnie. She has always been an amazing example to me of determination and hard work. That example has only intensified over the past few months that I've been living near by her and her family. I'm grateful that she is a good communicator -- she has taught me a lot. I'm grateful that she helps me think through whatever I have going on in my life so I'm not as overwhelmed and stressed. I'm grateful for Ben, his generous and loving nature. He is a wonderful example and source of motivation to follow your dreams and do what makes you happy. They are a powerful couple!

5. I am especially grateful to have a missionary brother this year....for just a few more weeks. I am grateful for his example of faithful, selfless service. He has been a district leader and trainer for most of his mission, which is incredible to me! I've always been impressed by Andrew and his desire to choose the right, to be happy, and to make sure that others are happy as well. I'm grateful that I've been able to see how he's grown over the past three years since I last saw him because it reminds me how much I grew on my mission. I'm grateful for his example of love towards all people.

6. Saying that I'm grateful for my parents seems insufficient, but until I figure out a better way to express my appreciation to them in the English language, "grateful" will have to do. I'm grateful that I have parents who literally drop everything to talk to me, taking sincere interest in my life and my well-being even when their lists of things to do could rival those of the President. I often think of how they sacrificed every Monday morning for 18 months in order to sit by the computer and wait for my email from the mission field so I had someone to talk to. I'm grateful for my dad who has taught me to love the Gospel like a convert. I'm also grateful for his love of books and history, from whom, no doubt, I have developed the same fascination. I'm grateful that we have similar ways of looking at life, so we can help each other. I'm grateful for a mother who puts other people before herself, who has taught me and many others how to establish a loving home. I'm grateful that she and dad watch over me and make sure that I have what I need in order to be happy and successful in all that I do.

I could go on....and on....because my family is incredible! I'm so grateful that I am a part of such an AMAZING family!

4 comments:

Karrie Shepro said...

Lauren! How sweet are you! I may have had the shortest paragraph (haha) but I appreciate the kind words and taking the time to reflect on your family. We are pretty awesome huh. I'm grateful for YOU. xoxo

Karen said...

Awwww...shucks!! You're pretty special yourself.
XOXOX

Rob said...

Awww how sweet you are Lauren! We love you babe!

Rob said...

This is Juliann by the way :)