Pages

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Fabulous Friday!

Yesterday I had two unique opportunities--first, to take family file names to the Provo temple; and to go to the Draper temple open house. It was a wonderful day and I still feel slightly speechless. It was incredible to start the work for my grandma and her mother as well as many other Pelton ancestors. I felt closer to my grandma than I ever did while she was alive. Doing those family names yesterday really helped me get my life back in perspective--no need to worry about grades or what I'm doing with my life...There's not much more I really can say except that I am so grateful for temples and the work we have the opportunity to do there. How much more I wish I could just spend all my time working in the temple.
The Draper temple open house was also an incredible experience. To all those who are my Utah neighbors or visitors, you all should go to visit the temple before the tours end next Saturday. It will be well worth your time. Since I've only been to one other open house, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. My experience with the Rexburg temple was particularly unique since I got to serve as an usher. I guess I expected all temple open houses to be conducted in the same manner, but this one was slightly different than the Rexburg open house. First off, I wasn't freezing as we made our way into the temple, much unlike the single-digit temperatures I had to endure in Rexburg. The Draper temple open house was also self guided while the Rexburg temple had tour guides for each incoming group. At the end of the Draper tour you end in one of the sealing rooms and there a couple talks to the group about temple marriages and temple work in general. I turned to my roommate and asked her if we could just stay in that room all night...we tried but ended up leaving next to last out of our group. Oh well...someday!
It is amazing to me the perfection and artistry that goes into each temple. From the imported Chinese granite exterior to the French limestone and African dark wood interior, each and every detailed showed the finest of craftmanship. I can't wait until the Vancouver temple is finished...hopefully I'll be able to visit that open house as well.
What a great weekend!

2 comments:

Karen said...

Ahhhh...it's so nice when those moments of "I got it" come to us. When is Vancouver supposed to be done? Sounds like a field trip to me!!

Linda Westover said...

I'm glad that you got to tour "our" new temple and that you are the kind of young woman who is sensitive to the Spirit. How nice that you were also able to start the ordinances for you grandmother. It really is a privilege.