This weekend I got the chance to spend time with my (second) cousin James and his wife Becky and some of their friends at the Stowell family cabin in Island Park, ID. I'd heard so much about this cabin that my uncle Bart had done ALL the finish work for, but I'd never been there until this weekend. It was quaint and secluded amidst lodgepole pine trees and blazingly yellow quaking aspens. Even with the rain, the weekend was idyllic. We got up to the cabin Friday night and stayed in our jackets until we could get a fire started and the furnace going, though once we got those going, we were too hot for the whole rest of the weekend! Saturday we watched the two sessions of conference with a trip to Big Springs in between sessions. The rain made the outing cold and soggy, but it was still nice to get out and stretch our legs from the hours of sitting watching conference. (Elder Uchtdorf's talk on hope was my favorite of all the sessions! Read it!) While the boys went off to Priesthood session, us girls laid around and watched "Joe Versus the Volcano" and had a little dance party. The boys surprised me and brought back an apple pie, complete with candles, after the Priesthood session ended. After we had our fill of sweets, we watched the movie "Disturbia" then sat around and talked until we had all fallen asleep on the couches.
This morning we all slowly rolled out of bed, fought for our chance in the bathroom, and got breakfast going in just enough time to sit down to watch the morning session of conference. Between sessions of conference we played kick-the-can in the trees outside the cabin. About half of our group had never played kick-the-can before, so once we overcame the learning curve, we got a few good rounds in before we loaded up the cars and drove into Sugar City to watch the concluding session of conference. I made it back to my apartment in enough time to open up all my wonderful presents and eat a yummy potato casserole made on my behalf by my roommate Ranne.
Thanks to family and friends, this was a very nice birthday. I can't wait to see what this next year of life has in store for me. Life always seems to be a surprise....





5 comments:
It's a fun place isn't it?? That's where I dumped my grandmother off the snow machine. That was the last time they let me drive one!! We loved that conference talk as well. I would have made you ravioli with cheese sauce for dinner with cheesecake for dessert. You know, something figure friendly! But apple pie with candles sounds good, too.
Glad you had a good birthday. We missed having you here to celebrate with. Hope your classes are going well. I'm going to go get ready now while Tate is sleeping:)
What is the bottom picture?
oh yes...the bottom picture ia of a cool chest at the end of the beds in the loft area. i thought it might be a cool project for mark or dad or me someday
It is so fun to hear about your good time! It reminds me of my college days--and I always said if I had to do it over, I'd just have more fun!
Happy belated birthday from the Nelson's!!!!
Post a Comment