(I mean, what's more Korean than Asian teas, spices, and...well....SPAM...)
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to live with someone from another country who spoke with an accent or even in a different language? Well, let me shed a little light on that idea and help ease your wondering mind.
Living with a Korean roommate is like this--I now know how to say "hi", "goodbye", "thank you" and, "be quiet"in Korean...you know...the basics; I've learned that if I'm invited to join my roommate and her friends for a meal, I must say "yes" and join them; I've learned that while I may think Korean and Chinese are similar languages, I now know that they are very diverse and distinct while being equally difficult; I've learned that rice cookers from Korea aren't just "rice cookers" but technological marvels literally with all the bells, whistles, and high-pressure steam-releasing valves. The mystery of the "Korean rice cooker" is that it always has rice in it!; I've learned that Korean food really does smell as bad as you would imagine...no wait...worse! and here is why!!!!--->


Yes...those are DRIED anchovys, stored in Ziplock bags to preserve their freshness of course.
okay, in all reality, living with Ranee is AWESOME! The anchovy thing is kinda gross though. I have tried dried seaweed, various meat dishes, and some unique spicy bean curd sauce. She teaches me something new at least once a day! She is an amazing person and I've loved getting to know her and learning about her culture.
3 comments:
Aaaaa, good old Korean food. How I miss those days of wondering "why would you eat that part of the animal?" Does she keep a jar of kimchee in the fridge. That can permeate into just about everything. Ask her about bun-day-gee.
Anchovies?!? Sorry. You'd know by now if there was Kimchee in the fridge, right, Eric? After two weeks with our neighbors "fresh" kimchee in ours, everything smelled! And it was fresh! (And really quite good eaten on the same day it was made!)
oh, the kimchee has been in the fridge since day 1! i've tried some actually and it's not so bad...but i guess i might have been distracted by the chopsticks i was practicing with. the dried sheet of seaweed was the worst thing i've tried yet! i don't recommend it at all
Post a Comment