Pages

Monday, October 4, 2010


Word of the week: La Conferencia General (General Conference)....sorry...not too creative. This week was very interesting and full of lots of important life lessons. We worked all week, walked all over our area, but unfortuntely didn't see a lot of outward success. It was a rough week, but ending on a high note with General Conference. Even better, I got to watch it in English! I was surprised that when I started watching, it took me a couple minutes to adjust to listening to English. It was really amazing actually. I've really seen the Lord bless me these past few weeks as I've struggled with Spanish. I've still got a lot to learn, but I sure feel like everyday I experience the gift of tongues. What an amazing blessing that is! Conference was wonderful as usual, but I had a wonderful realization this block of sessions: The spoken word of God through His chosen servants is like the air to me now. I was thirsting for exactly what they offered. It was amazing to drink at the fountain of living, flowing, and current water of the Lord. I went to listen to conference with questions in mind and a heart ready and willing to listen and learn. The first talk from Elder Holland was just what I needed to hear, and literally every talk touched on some aspect of my question and answered questions I hadn't even thought I needed answered. It was marvelous and I was thirsting for more when it sadly came to an end. How blessed we are to listen to have a spokesperson for our Heavenly Father on the earth today, to direct us, His children. As I sat listening and basking in the light of the Lord's servants, I felt the Holy Ghost quietly reminding me that these men are men of God, called and appointed by Him to lead us in these days. I was thinking today of Moroni 7:12-13 which talks about how all good things--all things that entice us to do good---come from God. I left conference motivated to "do good". What more testimony is there, than from a member of the Godhead. I'm excited to ponder more on the things that I learned and set some goals to change and put into practice those things that are enticing me to good right now. Our zone is starting a 40 day fast of those things that distract us and keep us from fully enjoying the spirit in our lives. I've been already thinking a lot about it, and as nervous as I am, I'm excited to show the Lord that I am willing to continually sacrifice so I can more fully consecrate myself and my time to Him and His kingdom here in San Rafael and wherever else He needs me. I was thinking this week as we were walking around, thinking about how I've changed in the past (almost) 6 months. It's been a gradual change and refining, but it's starting to hit me that I am not the same person. I can't necessarily express in words the exact manner in which I've changed, but this week I learned about patience with myself and others and that this life is about improving, everyday. We're here to perfect ourselves and we are constantly in this process. When the days seem long and hard, I have been trying to change my mindset. The days may be hard, but I can still be happy in what I'm doing and the offering I'm giving to the Lord. Some days it's really hard and everything seems to be working against me, but I gain strength in the Lord, in my family, in my testimony, and the people I'm helping to get one step closer to the temple and the presence of the Lord. This letter is a short one this week because we had to email at a different time and we need to run now. Thank you for all the birthday wishes! I love you all... Hermana Pelton

0 comments: