Word of the week: Feliz CumpleaƱos (Happy Birthday)
This week was the most productive for us as a companionship, but also the hardest. We saw lots of success by looking up people former missionaries in this area taught once or twice. We found five new people that way this week. Having people to teach really helped lift the spirits of our companionship, which has been stressed the past few weeks as teaching has been really slow.
Tuesday--for my birthday, I opened a few little packages (thanks LeeAnn and Karrie), made tacos (we don't eat Mexican food here for those of you who are thinking I'm crazy for eating Mexican food in a Spanish speaking country...we eat pasta here) and made myself a birthday cake.
Wednesday--knocked a lot of doors...
Thursday--we did divisions in the morning with the other two Hermanas that we share an apartment with. Thursday night, we found an unmarried couple with two kids and one on the way. They live very humbly (which is hard to find here in San Rafael) and are VERY Evangelical (complete with the very forceful prayers and everything). Their oldest daughter (age 7) has some sort of mental disability (I think ADHD), which made the lesson very interesting with her trying to rip off our clothes, scratch us, and pull at my hair. I just kept hugging her and telling her how beautiful she was. I wasn't too annoyed by her because I just kept thinking about how this family, if not more than other people, really needed to hear our message--the hope of having perfect bodies after this life, living with their families forever, and the healing power of the Priesthood. The lesson went well and we are excited to go back and teach them again this week.
The other miracle of the week was Cecilia. She lives here alone with her three kids while her husband works in Buenos Aires (12 hours by bus!). The hermanas taught her a couple of times almost 2 years ago, but she never really progressed. We taught her about the Restoration and she accepted the invitation to be baptized when she is fully prepared! We're really excited to have someone to work with and help progress towards baptism.
This week I learned an important lesson about how the Lord answers my prayers (or the prayers of his children in general). I've hit a rough patch and been seeking comfort in the scriptures and through prayer. I received a phone call this week from another hermana in the mission who is my close friend these days. She told me that she's been thinking a lot about me lately, so called and got permission to talk to me. I recently reread a quote from President Kimball (I believe) which said, something to the extent that the Lord is watching out for us, but it is usually through other people that He answers our prayers. I'm so grateful for friends and family who are close to the spirit who were inspired to reach out and help me. I'm working to be likewise, so I can be there for someone when the Lord needs me to be His welcoming arms to embrace one of His children in need.
Thanks for all the birthday wishes and greetings! Hope everyone is happy in the Good 'Ol USA. Things are warming up here....
Love,
Hermana Pelton
0 comments:
Post a Comment