Pages

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

{49 Days}

I was talking to Bonnie a couple of days ago; she was reminiscing about her mission while looking through her memorabilia. She affectionately asked if I wanted to take some of the things she used on her mission. This sounded like a good idea since I could use all the help and all the head start I can get! With her arm partially concealed by a plastic packing tub, she looked at me and caught her breath--"Do you want to wear my favorite mission skirt???!??!" She tossed me a well-worn/well-loved black skirt. Unfortunately it wasn't quite my size. She continued to dig through her box of memories while I knit Paije another hat. At one point, she asked if I was excited to go. I simply and unenthusiastically said, "yeah." I sat there and was thinking a little bit more about my lame response. This waiting time is really weird...It's like life is swirling all around me, but I'm just stuck in place. I haven't graduated from BYU, but I'm not really a student. I have my call, but I'm not a missionary. I go to work, but it's not really a job...it's just filling this awkward time. So, am I excited to go to Argentina and be a missionary? {YES!} , but it's really hard to be overly excited when I don't really know what's all in store for me and what triumphs and challenges I will face. I'm more anxious to get going and start working and progressing. Bonnie then began to remember her experience and said, "Yeah, I forgot how weird 'this time' was."

...{49Days}...
I'm excited for this next chapter in my life; sad to leave my growing family for a time; anxious to learn and grow.
{AWESOME!}

8 comments:

Linda Westover said...

I have to agree -- the waiting is a strange experience. So are you learning lots of Spanish while you wait?

Karrie Shepro said...

That's not Bonnie in the picture is it?

David & Brenda said...

Lauren, you are so easy to love. And I didn't know you have such a gift with words. That was a great entry!

Carla and crew said...

Our neighbor is from Argentina and she is giving us little hints of what you might expect--we are all excited for you!!

The Green-Eyed Girl said...

Learning lots of Spanish??--I'm trying! I've been reading my Spanish Book of Mormon here and there. I can't read it for too long because my brain starts to hurt :)
No, that's not Bonnie...though it wouldn't have surprised me if she did something like that on her mission.
OOO...hints! Anything good??

Carla and crew said...

My experience with mission clothing: leave all but one outfit for the sisters who are NOT going home! They are really bored with their own clothes, so any change is exciting...then you have a real need to get something new and trendy and cute upon your return! (and your Dad will be happy to pay for it, too!)

Jessica Waters said...

I totally agree with Carla on the clothes bit. . . I didn't go on a mission but I had lots of RM roommates and getting them out of their "mission fashion" was no easy task!!!! Leave it all behind!

Karen said...

I noticed. xoxo