Last week I gave my "farewell" talk in my single's branch and today I spoke in my home ward. Unfortunately--for the sake of time and effort--the topics were completely different (repentance and faith). Sure, the topics relate, but not enough to give the same talk twice. So the past two Saturday nights I've been attached to the computer, LDS.org, Preach My Gospel, and my trusty True to the Faith booklet.
In hindsight, I'm glad the topics were different!
Both of those talks were exactly what I needed to study and what I needed to testify of. My testimony continues to grow, which has been so reassuring these past few weeks as my mission date draws closer.
For me, speaking in church is more than an assignment or responsibility we have as church members. I wholeheartedly believe that our church leaders are inspired to ask us to speak at certain times on a specific topic for a reason. As a result, I spend a lot of time praying, studying, and pondering on what I think the Lord wants me to speak about specifically. I was particularly touched by the spirit these two times; my testimony was strengthened and my conviction was deepened as I delivered my prepared thoughts. It's as if in those moments the reality of the things I was saying hit me. It's amazing to see how the Lord guided my comments that I could have these witnesses, but that I could also help reach those in the congregation. Today, someone I had never met before and who was just visiting the ward for a baby blessing came up to me after the meeting and told me how much she appreciated my talk. In particular, she thanked me for an illustration I made that I felt particularly prompted to include. It's great to follow the promptings of the spirit and see what things follow.
Thad's Mispronunciations
8 years ago
3 comments:
A valuable lesson which will bless you all your life if you allow it to.
You're awesome!
Way to go! Most of us think of giving a talk in church as a chore, so your perspective is muchly appreciated!!
I'd much rather give a talk than teach a lesson. You are going to be a great missionary if you continue to rely on the spirit like you do.
Post a Comment