ok...i have a confession to make...my name is Lauren Pelton, I'm 21 years old...*sigh* and i was just issued my first speeding ticket ever. I grudgingly confess this information because it was bound to come out sooner or later and I'd rather state my case upfront than having to set the record straight. here's the deal, anyone who knows me well or who has ever driven with me before knows that i am a freak about driving the speed limit. i'm not a backseat driver, but when it comes to speeding, i will not hesitate to speak up and tell the driver to SLOW THE HECK DOWN! here's a perfect example, driving to school with mom in september, mom drove most of the way. well, to be honest, i like sleeping on long drives and i wasn't completely confident driving my manual. come to find out i think mom secretly wanted to keep driving because she could drive 80+ mph while i would set the cruise control MAYBE 5 mph over the speed limit. now i know my lead-foot relatives are laughing right now, but i just think that getting a speeding ticket is completely unnecessary because the speed of your car is totally within your control! be responsible...well...i still hold that philosophy despite the recent turn of events.
here's what happened. as the sole driver or my great- aunt and uncle's trailblazer on the way to and from rigby to seattle for the thanksgiving break, i spent a lot of time in the car behind the wheel. after driving strictly the speed limit all through washington and oregon into idaho, we took the arco route to rexburg from mountain home. BAD IDEA! not only was the road dark and winding, it was crawling with cops! as i proceeded down this somewhat intimidating tunnel of darkness, i kept strictly to the speed limit, going slower around the sharp corners. as we approached a little town, i slowed down to the posted 45 mph and proceeded carefully through the town keeping an eye out for the inevitable police offices stationed carefully behind unsuspecting corners. i made it through the town safe and sound without any police run-ins. ha! with a sigh of relief i stepped back on the gas to speed up to the highway posted limit of 65. well, in this nice, fancy, new trailblazer, it accelerated MUCH faster than i anticipated. suddenly i realized i was going pretty fast, so i looked down to check my speedometer. WHAT!?!? 75 mph!!! that's a speeding-phobiacs nightmare!!! ahhh! i looked back up at the road, moved my foot to the break....and felt my stomach fall as the car whooshing past me flipped on its lights. dang! a cop! of course. hate murphy's law!!!! the ONE time....and i literally mean the one time i was speeding, it was totally an accident!!! urgh!
that's my story. there's nothing else to tell. i had no idea what to say, i thought for sure i wouldn't get a ticket as soon as he looked into the car and saw my gray passengers. for real! what kind of insensitive person gives a young girl who is delivering an elderly couple a ticket?!??! *(fuming from the ears)* it's okay...it was bound to happen. at least this way i can blame it on those silly idaho police officers.
thanks for being on my side, because i know, after reading that, you must be wiping away the tears....i just want you to know that i am coping...i haven't glared at a cop in at least the past 24 hours...i mean...it was sunday....
6 comments:
We're glad to hear you're "taking it like a man!" Aren't you glad I'm NOT sending you the bill I got from the college :)
what bill??!?!?!?
Poor girl Lauren. I drive like you, 5-7 over the speed limit. I'm too chicken to drive any faster than that. I'm to worried about getting caught!
Darn Idaho cops don't have anything else better to do than to pull poor, innocent little drivers over. There, there.
That's nothing, once on our way home from St. George, I wake up pulled over on the side of the road for a certain driver going 125 mph in a 65 mph zone! As much as I loved him, I could have murdered him!!!
My last speeding ticket (only my second, ever!) was totally Aubrey's fault! I was driving the limit and she said, "look at this big hill, Mom--go faster!" so I did--very foolish, and I got caught! It's only $100 in the Murray city limits!!!!
Post a Comment