So, today at school, I unleashed chaos! Now, it was intentional....and yes, I must be crazy!
We are talking about the 5 key traits of civilizations (geography, social structure, political structure, economy, technology, and religion) in preparation for their study of Mesopotamia. The lesson today focused on political structures with an emphasis on the importance of leadership--why we allow people to have power over us and the benefits of said leadership.
My mentor teacher and I wanted to think of some activity that would drive home the idea that leaders are absolutely necessary in any society. Now for the chaotic part: I suggested that we do a simulation in which students had to put a series of numbers in order from least to greatest. Each student was given a number (1-31) and one rule--only he/she could move her number. PERIOD. No other directions. No rules. Nothing.
Then we set them loose at the Smartboard. The screen covered in randomly-ordered numbers was quickly swarmed with 31 seventh grade students all pushing their way to the board. There was yelling; there was quite a bit of screaming; there were multiple students each class period that stepped away, rolling their eyes and complaining about their crazy peers; and there was an extreme amount of chaos.
IT WAS AWESOME! (my mentor teacher and I just stood in the back chuckling to ourselves. He even took a few pictures to document the chaos that occurred.)
On average, it took 4 minutes to put 31 numbers in order from least to greatest. We then had a very interesting conversation about why it was so hard to accomplish such an easy task and what would have made it easier and more efficient. After appointing a leader and letting the class establish some sort of organization and plan, we let them loose again. This time, with very different results--they were surprisingly respectful of their leader, they spoke quietly (or not at all), and they were much less chaotic! We then tied it all in to the beginnings of civilizations and the important role leaders fill for the successful establishment and functionality of a society.
Thad's Mispronunciations
8 years ago
3 comments:
Great object lesson!!
Great that you're working with a mentor teacher who would acutally allow chaos like that! I'm guessing the kids will remember that lesson.
Wonderful!
Post a Comment