Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Word of the Week: Entrenar ("to train")

Hna. Whitmore and I had a really successful week to wrap up the transfer. We taught 19 new people and finally saw 2 investigators in church! We were richly blessed this week! On Tuesday, we went on divisions with two visiting hermanas from another area who are traveling and training the hermanas. It was a blast and we had tons of success! I learned a lot from them, particularly how to set baptismal dates in the first lesson. We are having TONS of success now and have over 20 investigators with baptismal dates, set in the first lesson! We have so many people written in our planners, we can hardly keep track of them all! It's such a blessing! As we were sitting with our ward mission leader yesterday going over our week and our investigators, I truly felt the Lord magnifying me in my calling as His missionary as with each person we talked about, I could see their face and I could tell him of their situation, their worries in life, their family situation, and their desire to change and come unto Christ. It was a precious moment for me, to see and feel the love that the Lord has for all His children. He really knows each of us and all of our concerns and desires our progression in this life, even the smallest of steps. With Hna. Deem Tuesday morning, we taught a really neat lesson with a man named Daniel and his ten-year-old daughter Victoria. The door was open as we walked past his house, so we walked up and basically invited ourselves in. Come to find out, when Hna. Deem had worked in this area over 6 months ago, she had given Daniel a copy of the Book of Mormon, but didn't have the opportunity to teach him. He told us he has been reading the book of mormon she gave him. He had some questions about whether or not the story of Christ coming to the Americas was recorded any where else. We told him that he could pray and ask God directly if Christ's visit to the Americas really happened. As we turned to Moroni 10, I gave a copy of the Book of Mormon to his daughter, who promptly started reading it to herself while we kept talking to her dad. when I turned to her to have her read it out loud, she looked at me and apologized because she was just reading away! It was fabulous! while Hna. Deem talked with Daniel, I talked with Victoria. She loves to read and was excited to get a new book to read. Hna. Whitmore and I, again, walked into another open door one morning when one of our appointments fell through (can you tell I like open doors!!!!???). We taught a woman named Sulma and her granddaughter Rosario. They both are Catholic and Sulma had heard the missionary lessons, but something like 40 years ago. Sulma recently finished her confirmation (Catholic classes required before taking the Sacrament for the first time), but was very open and attentive through our lesson. She is about 15 years old, but was really excited to read the Book of Mormon and learn more for herself while her grandmother wasn't interested in changing her life. It's interesting to see how the Lord prepares people; because Rosario had been studying, she was interested in our message and looking for the truth. We also visited with a lesson active family (the Jofre family) who live in a half constructed house with 5 kids. They are very inactive and unfortunately recently baptized this past year. They are very humble people, but very loving and kind. I really love teaching them because they love the missionaries and really want to go to church. They have to take 2 buses that only pass once an hour in order to get to the church building. The rain storms last week destroyed their roof, so they are focusing their efforts on fixing their home right now. They are really fun to visit though as they all gather around to listen to us :) The last adventure to write about it Alberto. The other hermanas found him one night and passed his info on to us because he is in our area. He is an alcoholic who smokes, got divorced last year, and lives with his parents and his single sister. He has received treatments and tried many different avenues, but nothing has worked. He needs a lot of help and I was really overwhelmed at first because I've never taught someone like him. He is willing to do whatever it takes to change and even handed over his cigarettes to us. We walked with him to church the following day. He is truly looking to change and recognize the message we share and it's changing influence. He may not get baptized in the near future because he has many obstacles to overcome, but he has a wonderfully supportive family who want the best for him. This message and our influence, I think--no, I know--will have a lasting impact on his family and his own life. alright, grab your seat belt, Wednesday morning I will start training a new hermana straight from the MTC!!!! Woohoo! Love you, gotta run! Hermana Pelton 8 Images | View Slideshow | Download Selected | Download All

0 comments: