This was a stormy week that started Tuesday afternoon. We were likely the only people on the street. It had started raining during lunch, but when we were leaving a little while later, the rain had stopped, but the sky was rather overcast still. I pulled out my trusty rain jacket and took it with us. As we got off the bus less than a half hour later, the rain had started again, but only a little. After a few hours of door knocking, my poor companion without a coat was DRENCHED! We did find a little family amidst all the puddles and mud. At first, Sandra just told us she was Catholic and not interested. When she came closer to the gate and likely saw how wet we were, she let us in (whether out of pity or genuine interest, I have no idea). She invited her 2 sons and her husband to the table to listen to us as well. Sandra was rather talkative and forceful about her beliefs and her position on the subject, but as we started talking about prophets and the Book of Mormon, she softened. By the end of our little lesson, she was much calmer and relaxed as she spoke to us. She told us that they didn't even have a Bible in their house and a big smile swept across her face as we gave her a copy of the Book of Mormon. It's amazing how the word of God can soften people.
Saturday night we went to work in an area that we always pass on the bus, but neither of us had ever worked in. So, we went. There we found a FABULOUS family. I knocked/clapped in front of one house and a young man on crutches (Leo) came to the gate to let us in. As we walked to the front door of the house, inside was a teenage couple sitting on the couch...I was a little nervous about what we were walking into, but as it turned out, the boyfriend/girlfriend left and Leo's uncle, sister, and nephew stayed to listen to us. They were all really interested in our message about why there are so many churches in the world. Leo told us about how he really likes going to church and improving, but at one point he was getting made fun of for going to church by his friends, so he stopped going. He looks at people with lots of faith in envy, so we shared the message of the restoration and gave them a copy of the Book of Mormon. We even arranged for a member to pick Leo up so he could go to church (since walking with his crutches are out of the question). Unfortunately the member didn't come to church, so neither did Leo. We still need to figure out what happened there! It was a BEAUTIFUL lesson and the spirit was so strong. It was so AMAZING! I felt the Lord strengthening me and magnifying my abilities--I felt like the missionary I want to be---we taught with unity and clarity, my Spanish wasn't a stumbling block, I was joking and having fun with the people, I really was listening and trying to help them see how the Gospel is what they are looking for in their lives...it was simply GREAT!
This transfer, President has called two traveling hermanas to visit and go on divisions with the hermanas throughout the mission. Hna. Whitmore and I were the pilot companionship this weekend and had a wonderful time. We just got to work HARD and practice improving our abilities and learning from each other. It was great talking with other hermanas who are about to finish their mission and hearing about their pointers and how to manage some of the common problems we face in the mission--with companions, with the people, with other missionaries, in the work, etc. I learned a lot and am now very excited to implement what I learned to help the work improve and to help my companions reach their full potential as well.
In other news...the kings came and filled my fun Argentine shoes!
This is the last full week of this transfer....changes are coming!
Sorry to cut things shorter this week, but we gotta run!
Love to you all!
-Hermana Pelton
| CIMG0105.JPG (162KB) | CIMG0091.JPG (141KB) | CIMG0092.JPG (3665KB) |
| CIMG0095.JPG (122KB) | CIMG0097.JPG (235KB) | CIMG0099.JPG (212KB) |
| CIMG0100.JPG (236KB) | CIMG0101.JPG (168KB) |
0 comments:
Post a Comment