Pages

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Nicknames: LoLo, LP, Little Pelton...AND...

I recently acquired a new nickname. Now, I need to warn you...this post may contain information that is too awkward for individuals under the age of 16. Continue at your own risk-->
Here's where it (innocently) began: My roommate Bethany recently started dating this guy, Shaun. Seeing as I didn't have a lot of pressing plans one weekend, Shaun invited me over to his apartment one afternoon to go play some games. I said yes, eager for a chance to make new friends (particularly when these potential friends had been described by a reliable source (ie Bethany) as being "really cute.") Here I go...into this apartment of six guys; All cool, calm and collected, the charm began to flow. That's right...I've got some tricks up my sleeve, but they couldn't have seen this one coming, no really, I didn't even see this one coming! Sitting in their apartment, the collective group of us (maybe 12 of us at this point), following in BYU student fashion, began playing "signs." My fate was sealed...the evening, and my ego, went south from this point on. Let me briefly explain the game of signs for those of you unfamiliar with this...*special*...game: Everyone sits in a circle with one person as "it" standing in the middle. Each person has a "sign". The point of the game is to pass "the sign" around to different people without getting caught by the person who is it. The game is almost always a ton of fun...especially when people get creative with their signs, which leads me to the next unfortunate phase that solidified my fate. Bethany knows sign language, so I looked at her to come up with a cool sign for me. She thought for a moment, then crossed her arms at the wrist and began moving her fists up and down. Thinking that was a unique sign, I began doing it myself. Her smile widened, so I nervously asked her what the sign meant. "Making out." WHAT???!!??! Once the initial shock wore off we began laughing. Figuring no one but Bethany knew sign language, I kept it as my sign. Who cares right, it's just a silly sign for a goofy game with some friends. But wait. As you could probably guess, Bethany wasn't the only one who knew sign language. As I demonstrated "my sign" to the rest of the group, a girl from the other side of the circle audibly gasps, causing all to turn their attention to her. At this point, her hand is over her mouth and she is looking at me with a horrified glare. Shoot! She knows! When everyone starts asking her why she was gawking, she replys that my sign was "bad." What?!??! Now everyone thinks I'm completely inappropriate. To put everyone's minds at ease, the true meaning of the sign needed to be exposed. Great...just rip of the band-aid right..."it's not *bad*, it just means making out." Fine, fine...get all the giggles out....okay okay...so we're playing the game and having a blast. At one particular instance, I have the sign, but the person who was "it" was just about to catch me with the sign, so I hurried to pass it to someone else to avoid getting caught. Unfortunately for me, the only person's sign I could think of was my friend Mike's. His sign was something like an old man talking without his dentures in...you know...with his lips turned in. For some reason, in my haste to pass the sign, my execution of his sign turned into something more of a pucker. Right, so now I'm doing my sign ("making out") and puckering....needless to say, the game went out the window and everyone started laughing uncontrollably. At that moment, "Kissy-Face" was born.

5 comments:

Karen said...

Was that trick yours or Bethany's?? :) I'll bet you get invited to play again...soon!

April Bishop said...

Do you get asked on more dates now? Just curious. It might (or might not) work out in your favor...

Brenda Sue said...

Hahaha!! I love it!!

Karrie Shepro said...

I love that game! I'll keep that sign in mind, thanks for the tip :)

Juliann said...

The only thing that would have made that story better would have been the evening ending in a little make out! HeHe!