Pages

Monday, March 3, 2014

Update! Update!

Alright, I know you are all so curious how life is going here in paradise. Well let me tell you!

It has been a crazy past couple of weeks with lots of unexpected twists and turns! Where do I even start...

1. The 27th was Independence Day here! It was just like any other day, except they had a neat fold dance show at the resort after the guys finished singing. (One day I will get the video to load!)


2. Carlos got a job at a barber shop! We were exploring some of the barber shops near our apartment and went into one really close by and Carlos came out with a job! It's not the most lucrative of jobs, but Carlos seems to be learning a lot, and even a little about cutting hair ;)


3. The missionaries showed me around to a few different schools in the nearby area. We went to one school in the poor, Haitian neighborhood called "Pueblo Nuevo." As soon as we turned on to the main street leading into Pueblo Nuevo, I could tell instantly that it was the poor area of town--dirt roads, mud puddles, shacks, broken glass every where, and the streets were full of people including a few shoeless children. I didn't feel unsafe (don't worry Mom), but I was glad to be there with the missionaries! Needless to say, the school was about what I had expected--dirt "playground" surrounded by a wiry fence with 2 small buildings set back from the road. One room for the older children, one for the younger children. There were 2 teachers, who happened to be sisters. The older children were packed into the room (about 30 students), all silently sitting and copying drawings off the blackboard at the front of the room. The sisters said that they needed help in the afternoon, but the elders decided it might not be too safe for me to wait around. They took me to another school, closer to the church building. To make a long story short, I was interviewed by the principal and the school director, both of whom wanted to have me come in to teach an English class to the little kids. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like that will work out now (see below).

4. While Carlos was cutting hair the other day, a man named Fred came in for a hair cut. As they were chatting during the hair cut, Carlos told Fred about what we are doing here. As it turns out, Fred is the sales director at the nearby resort (one of the resorts that Carlos performs at). Fred then proceeded to ask Carlos about me and what I do during the day. When Carlos told him that I am not working, but am looking for something to do during the day, Fred practically hired me on the spot, without having met me! Apparently he is in desperate need of an English-speaker on his sales team in the resort. He gave Carlos his phone number and asked that I call him to set up a formal interview. The next day I was in his office and being offered a job on his sales team! I've never done sales before, but he says it's an easy job (the people are brought to me), I get to eat at the resorts, and I get to make some good money while I'm at it. I'm not expecting to make too much, but a little extra money sure wouldn't hurt!

5. Today, I attempted to fill out the necessary employment documents. I was unsuccessful. I don't want to go into too much detail, but lets just say I spent all day on the bus, waiting for the bus, borrowing phones, being hung up on, being told offices were closed or their networks were down, and being confused. Thankfully, I was able to notify Fred of the issues and he understands. Attempt 2 tomorrow!

6. Ok, the other big news....drum roll!....We are moving to Cancun in June! We will finish up here in the DR around Easter, then we'll have about a month off before Carlos will start performing in Cancun. I'm pretty excited to move to Mexico. I've been reading up about living in Cancun and it should be a lot cheaper, more developed, and easier to get around. Carlos and I came to the decision that once we get there, we will try and find our own place to live. So far we've been married almost 6 months and we've never lived alone. I think that needs to change :) Once we get settled, visitors are welcome!!!!! We are taking things one step at a time, but Carlos won't be singing as often in Cancun as he is here, so maybe we'll both find other jobs there to stay busy....we're not sure, but we are excited to see what the future holds for us. All I can say is that the Lord is directing our path. A few weeks ago, if you had asked me if I thought we would end up sticking with this lifestyle, I probably would have said no. But things have changed and the Lord has softened my heart and broadened my perspective. Like usual, He has something in store for us that I cannot see from where I am. I'm so glad to have Carlos by my side throughout this whole adventure. I surely would not fair well without him!

Well, how's that for an update!?



1 comments:

Karen said...

Home about Easter? Don't you have a return ticket? What's the date on it?