Yes, it happened...I got a cold! Despite what the members at church think, it has nothing to do with my liver, it's not because I go outside without a jacket on, and I don't need a doctor to tell me that I have a cold. Argentines are so funny when it comes to medical concerns, however big or small the situation, it may as well be front page news! The most common assumption for ANY illness (including headaches, stuffy noses, and sore throats), is a problem with your liver....where that idea comes from has left me boggled for the last 16 months and still confuses me! From my limited understanding of human anatomy, in no way is my nose connected with the function of my liver....correct me if I'm wrong. It sure makes for some funny conversations and words of advice from members at church trying to help me get better...hahaha. Nothing that anyone has suggested has made even a dent in my symptoms. I'm convinced that the bugs here can smell American missionaries and they go right to them! I've never had such a bad cold in my entire life! I'm coming to learn how to recognize what foods I'm eating without being able to smell or taste them. It's an interesting human experiment, though I'm ready to start tasting my food again! Even though we had to spend a couple of miserably boring days in our apartment this week, we found lots of great people to teach! Yoanna, the young mom Hna. Cuello and I found a couple of weeks ago is so great! We've gotta get her to church because she wants to get baptized! I feel really connected to her for some reason; her kids come and just sit and play with me like I've been their family friend for years. It's so fun, though they were sick this week (along with nearly all of our investigators, leading to our inevitable house arrest days this week). When Hna. Goddard went and taught her this week, we talked to her a little about what she'd been reading in the Book of Mormon. When we introduced the Book of Mormon to her, I felt inspired to share a few verses from the story of the Brother of Jared, which I had just been reading that morning. In the beginning of the book of Ether, we read about the difficulties that the Brother of Jared and his family had in traveling via boat to the American continents. At the end of chapter 2, we read about how their boats were constantly being blown by fierce winds and crushed under huge ocean waves over their entire journey. But, every time they called on the Lord, He brought them forth from the depths of the ocean to the surface of the water. As we continue reading, we learn that the winds and the storms never stopped beating upon the Brother of Jared and his group, but those same winds that appeared to be destroying them were the force leading them to the promised land. I shared with Yoanna about how in life we often feel like those boats--tossed to and fro, being crushed by huge waves of problems, conflicts and discouragement. But just like the Brother of Jared, as we call diligently upon the Lord, He will save us every time and bring us back to the surface so we can catch our breath before the next wave breaks over us. And before we know it, those powerful "winds" and harsh challenges and difficulties that seem to be more than our little boat can handle, lead us to the promised land---to a better place in our lives. I've been thinking a lot about those 3 little verses that are just packed full of hope-filled doctrine. As I shared this insight I'd gained with Yoanna, she instantly connected to it and when we went back to talk to her this week, she told us how she had even shared that story with her boyfriend because she loved it so much. The spirit truly guides us if we listen and don't desregard His influence. Hna. Goddard and I also found a great new investigator that seems really promising! His name is Fabio (yes, like the soap opera man, but this Fabio looks nothing like the one you're thinking of.) He is recently divorced and looking for a change in his life. He works nearly constant hours as a security guard. We taught him by his fence because he lives in a one-room apartment by himself, yet it was a great lesson. He seemed to understand everything we were explaining and caught right on with the concept of the Great Apostasy and the subsequent religious divisions that resulted. I'm really excited to help him understand more fully the blessings that are awaiting him in the Church of Jesus Christ. Hna. Goddard and I found some other great people, so we should be busy this week trying to visit them all. Woohoo! Blessings! Now we just need someone to start progressing, but the Lord will help us according to His timetable with that one as well. In other fun news, while Hna. Goddard and I were walking around Saturday night, someone who was driving passed us, rolled down their car window and started talking to us. I've subconciously learned to ignore such things, because after the fact, you always wish you had. This time, they persisted, so I turned to see what they were talking about and to whom they were talking (because we were walking in the busy area of the little city). To my great surprise, it was a family that I visited and taught MANY times in my first area over a year ago! I was so shocked! They pulled over and we just started chatting, laughing and hugging! Ivan and Carina just laughed at each other and kept saying, "Look how she talks now!!!" Haha...yeah...I know....I didn't talk too much when I got here....I tried though! Hahaha. It was such a blast from the past but such a tender mercy from the Lord; even though I'm in the middle of a foreign country where nobody speaks English and no one knows who I am, a family that is basically my Agentine family pulls up. Apparently they had seen us walking, but weren't sure if it were me, so they turned a couple of corners to get a closer look! Haha! They were insistent that we come and visit them :) It's nice to know that I have real friends here in Argentina. Next week, when I write, I will have less than 2 months left in my mission....weird. Lots of pages still to write in my mission book, but I've finally reached the final chapter. Keep reading, surely the Lord has more in store for all of us! Love you, Hna. Pelton
Thad's Mispronunciations
8 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment