Pages

Monday, May 16, 2011

Word of the week: discursar (To give a talk)

A few weeks ago, the ward mission leader assigned me a talk in Sacrament Meeting for the 22nd. The topic changed a few times, but when Hna. Cuello and I came back to the apartment Saturday night, the other hermanas informed me that the bishop had changed the topic of my talk again and that I would be giving my talk the next day in church. Oh yes, I love the mission. So, needless to say, I was a little nervous, not having been able to prepare really all that much. Thankfully, the topic was enduring to the end (a lesson that the Lord has been helping me learn a lot of lately, or really my entire mission). Speaking wasn’t what made me nervous, it was the Spanish! I guess it all worked out for the best, rather than having to wait and worry for another week, they ripped the band-aid off and I had to speak with hardly any noticed, though I am very grateful that they at least passed the message along through the other hermanas so I had a few hours to stew and stir over the topic. I was the first to speak and had written an outline that I’d read over with Hna. Cuello in about 5 minutes. That added to my nervousness because it surely wasn’t going to be long enough at all. So, they announced my name first, and I got up to the podium and started talking. Two sentences in, I felt just at home like I was teaching a REALLY big lesson. The ward learned a new word—gyser—as I shared Grandpa’s story about Old Faithful and the Giant. All in all, I felt like it was a really good talk. Words came out of my mouth and a couple of member women came up to me afterword and told me that my Spanish was great. That helped a lot. It was a very humbling experience to say the least as I really felt the Spirit fill my mind with words and the grammar came along with it. It was nothing short of a miracle. Who can say that in about 1 year, they were able to stand up in front of over 100 people and give a 15 minute talk? I truly am blessed. I really learned a lot this week, particularly about enduring to the end. Again, like most of the weeks I write home, doors didn’t start opening until after a few hours of knocking or until the last possible moment that we could get into a door before going back to the apartment. I learned that Heavenly Father really does have a sense of humor because we were trying really hard to find 2 new people Wednesday afternoon before an uncommon dinner appointment. We only had about 40 minutes until we needed to be on our way to the appointment. We were praying really hard and trying to be extra energetic, when, after knocking doors for about 15 minutes, we got in! Ha...ha…and there were 2 people sitting at their kitchen table….Hugo and Isabella. Ages 90 and 84 respectively. Hahaha! I thought it was hilarious! So, we taught them a bit about families and the importance of prayer and headed on our way. Nothing like a little comic relief every now and again. We taught a woman named Juana this week. She likes listening to other religions because she finds it interesting and she said her mother never opened the door to other religions when she was growing up—gotta love the Catholic mentality—and Juana now feels finally free to investigate and learn, not that she wants to change her religion. It was a hard lesson; she lit her cigarette when we came in and sat down and promptly told us that she wanted answers to her questions that we short and clear and easy to understand before we started sharing anything with her. It was rather unusual, but we were able to teach her about the Restoration as we answered her questions along the way. There have been many moments in my mission where I have literally felt the Spirit giving me words to say, but this lesson was particularly powerful in that regard. Juana has tough skin and a tough heart and I started to feel a little nervous as she got on the attack and really was just confused between what we were teaching her and what she had been raised to believe. My companion was starting to talk over Juana and although she might have been in control of her emotions, she was sure coming off strong. I tapped her under the table and things cooled off a bit. I really just sat and listened as attently as I could. She asked us a question, and my companion didn’t say anything. Something from a large group meeting from the MTC popped into my head—something we’d practiced and talked about in the MTC. Juana wanted to know how we knew there is a prophet on the earth today. Hna. Cuello testified about the power of prayer, but Juana wasn’t satisfied. That’s when what we practiced in the MTC popped into my mind and I instantly remembered a part of Preach My Gospel that talks about tying every objection and question back to the Book of Mormon and the testimony that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. I started talking, it was as though a lightbulb turned on in my head, the idea literally flashed in my mind. And so, the words came, and Juana stopped her objections. The Lord again blessed me as Juana shared asked us another question, prefacing it by saying that nobody has been able to give her an answer. I felt nervous, but really peaceful and confident. She told us of 2 young woman who were studying to become nuns who were tragically killed in a sudden car accident. She wanted to know why God takes good people and why other bad people seem to being doing great in life. My companion shared something that again did not calm Juana’s desire to know. She seemed skeptical that we’d be able to come up with anything to answer her. Then again, the spirit put names into my head again. This time, the names of Uncle Dave and Aunt Brenda and their three sons, who I’ve never met. I told Juana of my aunt and uncle who are wonderful people who follow the example of Jesus Christ, yet lost three of their sons. And then was able to testify to her of what I have learned from them and from their firm faith in Jesus Christ and the Plan of Salvation, how I have been strengthened by their faith and I’ve been able to be reassured of the truthfulness of the Plan of Salvation. The room was silent. I testified to her of how we have challenges to learn and to grow, that Heavenly Father tailors the challenges of our lives to fit our very circumstances and what we need to grow. The key to succeeding in life and overcoming our challenges is to seek the Lord. If, in the face of our trials, we turn from the Lord and become angry, we will only suffer. But if, in the face of our trials, we turn to the Lord and humbly ask Him to help us see what we need to learn from the trial, the difficulties of our lives will become stepping stones to a stronger character and testimony rather than just suffering. Without the guidance of the Lord, it’s just suffering. If we turn to Him, our afflictions become a spiritual benefit. Juana soften, nodded her head, and agreed. I felt, again, so humbled and so grateful to the Lord for filling my mind with the words and experiences to say in the exact moment, so I was not “confounded before men.” We also taught another woman who let us right into her home, sat down and listened. She said that if someone religious comes to her door, she listens because she thinks that God sends them to her, if not, they would just walk right by. The irony of the entire situation, is that she says that she is looking for the truth and is willing to change, sees missionaries as a sign from God, yet when we invited her to read a part of the Book of Mormon, she said no. We asked her if she would get baptized in the church if God told her to, and she said yes, but wasn’t willing to do what it takes to know, even though she said that she said she would like to know which church is true. It was frustrating to hear, but really taught me a huge lesson about the importance of works in our life. Faith is only as good as the actions it produces in our life. Another cool little side note: Taught a woman named Alejandra about the Book of Mormon. At the end of the lesson, she prayed, and specifically prayed that the Lord would help her read the Book of Mormon. She committed to him in her prayer, saying that she would read it diligently and with real intent. Hna. Cuello and I could hardly believe it when we left her home. NOBODY prays like that at the end of a first lesson! It is a very rare occurance! It was awesome! Okay, I could keep going for hours. I really learned a lot this week, and every week. Thank you to all, all of you who have played a part in my life. For your faith and example. I sure hope it was okay that I shared a little bit about Uncle Dave and Aunt Brenda. My family is a huge teaching source for me! Love to you all, Hna. Pelton

0 comments: