Pages

Monday, December 6, 2010

Word of the Week: Despedirse (to say goodbye)

What a crazy, unusual, rewarding, inspiring week this was! Late Monday night we got a call that we would be having interviews with President Lindahl Tuesday in the afternoon. While the other missionaries were waiting to be interviewed, the rest of us went to a few "stations" with the assistants and got some counsel and advice regarding our beloved AREA BOOKS (LOVE IT ANDREW!!! it's GOLD as a missionary), the importance of study journals, and the things we learned duing 2010. Happily, when asked by Elder Weist (Assistant to the President from Rob and Juliann's Stake...no...he didn't recognize our name) what I learned in 2010, I smiled and said, "Spanish!". Yesterday, during Fast and Testimony Meeting, the counselor in the Bishopric who started the testimonies reminded us that it was the last fast and testimony meeting of 2010. He continued to talk about the great things that happened in 2010 and his hope and goals for the rapidly approaching new year. As I sat there thinking about what he was saying and how my life has changed (COMPLETELY) this year, I began to feel that all too familiar (and often dreaded) feeling that "Yeah, I'm talking to you....get up there and share your testimony!" I guess I really have learned Spanish because there have been few times in my mission experience to this point, where Spanish has come more smooth and easy and when I haven't felt like my tongue is tethered; Sunday, in the 3 or 4 minutes while I was sharing my testimony, I felt sure. The Lord has been sweet in permiting me to speak from my heart when it really matters. As I sat pondering, while gathering my courage to stand before people and speak in a language I've only really known for about 5 months, I thought about my grandmother and the legacy she left and the impact she has had on my life, whether I was aware of it or not as I've grown over the years. Surely I am here partly for her example of selfless service to the Lord. She was a large part of my motivation in sharing my testimony. I didn't care how well I spoke, how eloquently my thoughts flowed, or what the members thought of me. I have been blessed this year in many ways and the best way I could show my appreciation to the Lord for the gifts He has given me in my life and in my mission was by sharing my testimony. How sure I was (and am) as I stated, "Yo sé que las familias pueden ser eternas." (I know that families can be eternal). How surely planted that is in my mind and my heart now.
We are working a lot with Monica and her son Santiago, who now is more anxious to be baptized than words can describe. He's planning on inviting all of his class to his baptism. We are thrilled to help unite this family (step by step) so they too can enjoy the blessings of an eternal family.
Last night we were able to watch the First Presidency Christmas Devotional (yes...in Spanish). It was bitter sweet to see: I love the Christmas season at home and it is nothing like home here in Argentina when it comes to Christmas. The devotional was just the taste of Christmas from home that I needed (not to mention hearing songs in English....that's a rareity). It was actually kinda funny because when the congregation was invited to sing, they didn't put up Spanish subtitles so the people here could sing, naturally, in Spanish. I on the other hand LOVED IT! It was weird to sing in English after 8 months of Spanish hymns. :)
Monica came with her son Santiago to the devotional and afterword, we met and chatted for a second or two. Without words, she radiated happiness and peace. She truly is a changed person. She told us that now she can say that she knows her Savior lives. She told us how before, she couldn't say that, how before she felt like she was in prison and hopelessly alone; now, everything has changed for her. She has tasted of the bitter in life and now is learning how to really enjoy the sweetness of her new life. With tears welling in her eyes and streaking her cheeks, she looked at us and said, "I'm so happy." The Gospel, in it's simpleness, changes lives. It can change our lives everyday as we live and seek to put the Lord first in our lives. He's working miracles in our lives everyday if we just but slow down and look for them.
It is always wonderful to be reminded of the true spirit of Christmas. Here in the mission, far from home and the commercial aspect of the holidays, I have the wonderful opportunity of truly thinking about the meaning of the Christmas holiday and the "good news" of the birth and life of the Savior of the world. I often think of a quote from President Monson from a few years back as he related the story of the birth of Jesus Christ and how there was no room for Mary and Joseph in the inns. President Monson follows this story by asking if we have made room for the Savior in our lives. Do we let the hustle and bustle of life fill our minds and hearts so there is no room for the Savior and His atoning sacrifice? Do we fill our homes with noisy televisions and activities that fill the time, but don't satisfy rather than pictures of the temple and stories of the Savior? What am I doing to make sure there is ALWAYS room for the Savior in my life? As I've been pondering over the past few days/weeks (walking in the heat all day gives one time to think...) I've set a goal and would like to invite you all the join my (if you are so inclined): my goal is to read the life of Christ from the scriptures between Christmas and Easter. There is a fabulous index and guide in the Topical Guide that outlines the life of Christ according to the chronology and harmonizes the accounts as recorded in the Gospels, the Book of Mormon and the Doctrine and Covenants/Pearl of Great Price. I'm excited to start my journey through the life of Christ, to start each day in the scriptures focusing on my Savior and Redeemer.
Love to all, especially to my family as we all move to a new phase of life without our beloved "Amazing Grace."
Love you, Happy Snow Days!
Hermana Pelton

0 comments: