This week we spent a lot of time preparing Monica and Eva for their baptisms in the coming weeks. We met with Eva on Saturday night and as we talked with her, she told us about her desires to follow the commandments and even shared with us and experience she had with her friends in regards to the Word of Wisdom. She shared about how she started drinking a cup of coffee her friend offered her because she didn't know it was coffee and then how she spit it out when she realized what it was and frankly shared with her friend that she doesn't drink coffee anymore. She told us that she can hardly wait to get baptized. Since Monica is getting baptized this weekend, we told her that if she wanted she could get baptized a week earlier with Monica since she is ready. She accepted the offer and now will be getting baptized on Saturday the 20th! We are really excited for her! Hermana Alvez and I were talking about Eva and how we can see the change that has occurred in her over the past few weeks. She is very enthusiastic and devoted to following the Lord's commandments. She has already told all her family that every Sunday she will be at church from 9:30 to 12:30. It's been wonderful and strengthen to see how the Gospel, in it's simplicity, changes lives.
This week, we also taught a young teenaged girl on her porch. We went to visit with her aunt, whom we'd met on the street while contacting a few weeks ago. Her aunt wasn't home, but Sabina gladly listened to us as we talked about the Book of Mormon. She told us how she reads the Bible and how the word of God teaches us about things that are the come. She readily accepted the Book of Mormon and agreed to read it. She told us that she would read it with her family because they read the Bible all together. PERFECT!
This week I was studying about spiritual gifts. It was very interesting, it wasn't that I read anything new that I hadn't read before, but rather that in pondering, I realized things about myself that I'd never thought about before. I was trying to change up my language study activities this week, so I started reading Grandpa's stories in English and translating them as I read, looking up words that I didn't know as I went along. Then, during the day, I'd practice sharing the stories with my companion. I felt like my abilities and my confidence really took a leap forward. I got to share a few stories with some members and with a few less active members. It was amazing because I felt like I was speaking much clearer and more correct. It was neat to share things (besides my testimony) that are special and mean so much to me with other people, in another language, in a place far far removed from Yellowstone National Park, Montana, and all those wonderful things that have made my family who we are. Yet, the message was clear and the lesson well received.
well, I hope all is well and that everyone is enjoying the start of the holiday season. It sure doesn't feel like almost Christmas here as the weather just started getting really warm. My companion and I were just comparing our new freckles from the sun.
Love to you all!
Thanks Rhonda for the birthday greetings!
April--you are a rock star writer! I'm glad you enjoyed my analogy. I've got more in the works :) I'm so impressed and grateful for your missionary efforts there in your ward. You are a great example! Thanks!
0 comments:
Post a Comment