Word of the week: Nuevo (new)
This was a busy week filled with lots of walking and talking. After working with Hermana Deem last week and evaluating how things were going with our investigators, we made the decision that most of them were not progressing and our time would be better used in working with people who were more prepared by the Lord. As a result, this week our numbers weren’t as great because we were spending most of our time looking for the Lord’s “elect” who He had prepared and had put in our path.
Our area here in Amppya is HUGE! After my first transfer, I don’t think I’d seen more than ¼ to 1/3 of it! This week during our weekly planning session, we divided up our area into zones so we can better organize ourselves and the references we receive from our street contacts and such. By the end of our planning session, we had 10 zones (the 10th zone entailing the city/areas beyond what our map details). We planned well and decided to devote some morning working time (when most people are still sleeping!!!) to exploring some of the distant parts of our area that I’d never ventured to. Friday we worked in an area rather far away and for 2 hours found no one! Only 2 or 3 people came to the door if I remember correctly. Then, as we were walking to another area on our map, we passed an apartment complex for the second time that morning. Hermana Deem had commented as we passed it the first time that she would kick herself if we found people there later. After 2 hours of NOTHING, and having passed this complex for a second time, we decided to give it a try. Sure enough, in the 40 minutes we had before our lunch appointment, we taught 4 people and gave away 2 Book of Mormons! Needless to say, this week we’ve learned a lot about finding by the spirit and listen to His quiet (and often unexpected) promptings.
Among these 19 new people we taught a man named Dante. Hermana Deem talked to him as he was waiting for a bus (as I was talking to someone else). As he jumped on the bus she could hardly contain her excitement as she ran over to me to tell me about this man she talked to. As they were talking, apparently he had said that he doesn’t understand why there are so many churches in the World. He just wants to find some answers about it all. Needless to say, we were excited to meet with him and, frankly, give him all the answers. We went by his house and taught him, his wife and his teen aged daughter the Restoration. He was a fiery man who clearly is confused as to all things religious and had some real “soul searching” questions that he sincerely wanted to find answers to. He was confused by lots of the other religions (Catholics worshipping saints, Jehovah Witnesses not donating blood…random things). As we taught him, he was constantly trying to talk over us as we talked about the Great Apostasy and the falling of Christ’s original church. As we got to the Joseph Smith store and as I was sharing the First Vision, Dante finally got quiet and sat and just simply listened. I was shocked considering how much he had been talking before, I figured for sure that he would stop me half way through or something would interrupt us (as it usually does), but nothing….just silence. It was wonderful! Everyone stopped and listened to me! It was amazing! After, he began firing the questions again…I quickly realized that there would not be time enough in this life to sit there and answer every question that he had, so I just quietly asked him for permission to say something. He agreed (as his daughter was telling him to let US talk) and introduced him to the Book of Mormon and simply testified that it contains all the answers to EVERY question he had. Afterword I realized that was a huge promise not knowing what questions he really has, but as I pondered more, I recognized that the spirit had very strongly indicated to me that that was what I needed to say. We marked a part for him to read and committed him to read and pray about it and our message. He said he would read it, that he’d never read a book like it before, but that he was really going to read this one. He seemed so shocked and yet relieved as I told him that all his answers are in that book. He asked me if that was true and I could honestly say that it does. It was a great lesson!
We also taught another woman who lives just down the street from us. She has a 2 or 3 year old daughter and another 7 month old little girl. As well, she was taking care of her sister-in-law who appeared to have Downs or was Autistic. The woman (Celia) was very friendly and warm and invited us right in one night. Her kids were energetic to say the least. As we were getting ready to start the lesson I felt prompted to sing a song with them. So Hermana Deem and I sang Families Can Be Together Forever and the girls all sat still and were quiet as we sang. It was the perfect way to start a lesson and definitely invited the spirit and let them know that our message was one of power and importance. We taught Celia the Plan of Salvation and she seemed to really enjoy it. We felt great after teaching her and are very excited to go back and teach her the message of the restoration and to give her a Book of Mormon.
All in all ,by the end of the week, we had taught 19 new people! (our mission goal is 10 per week). We are very excited to go back and follow up this week with all our new people.
Hermana Deem and I also made a decision on our street contacting approach. We both LOVE the Book of Mormon and I had remembered that before I left for the MTC, the missionaries in our area had been challenged by their mission president to also be carrying a Book of Mormon with them in their hands. Hermana Deem always does, but we decided that we both would and that every time we talk to someone, we are going to use the Book of Mormon as our message. Wow…have we seen miracles! We have seen people soften right in front of us. I love thinking about filling the homes of San Luis with the words of the Book of Mormon. The Book of Mormon truly is the most powerful teaching tool we have and I have seen it change people throughout a lesson as we read from it and testify of it.
Ok…the best for last! Yesica (Jessica)…she came to church this week! Yay!!!! She came with her two kids (Nicolas=7 and Pricilla=3). She loved it too! What was even better was that Nicolas asked her as we were walking with them to the door if they could come back next week! Yay! During the week we had visited with her and (re)taught her the Restoration and then set a baptismal date with her which she accepted. Saturday night we decided to fast for Yesica that she would come to church and continue to progress. The Lord richly blessed us as we fasted. In the Gospel Principles class for recent converts and investigators, the lesson was on the Word of Wisdom. We were initially a little nervous not knowing how she would receive it, but she ended up talking more in class more than any one else, sharing her personal experiences (basically her testimony of this law) and answering the questions. It was beautiful! After class, the teacher came up to talk to her and us (knowing she was an investigator and being a return missionary himself). As they were talking, she just frankly and excitedly told him that she is getting baptized on the 28th! Hermana Deem and I just stood there in awe! We are so excited for her and feel very blessed that the Lord trusted us and put her in our path!
This week was filled with brownies, dusty shoes, lots of new faces, and lots of laughing! Hermana Deem and I also come into our little house at night laughing up a storm. Just last night we found a bag filled with little fish like anchovies (about 8 inches long) sitting in the street. Random…welcome to Argentina! We have been having a particularly fun time with the crazy dogs here…needless to say I’ve got some funny looking pictures. J
We are working hard and seeing miracles. We go to Mendoza tomorrow for our now infrequent Zone Conferences (one every 3 months). Yay for a long (4 hour) bus ride tomorrow and a hot shower in the mission office when we get there! (we haven’t had hot water for showers in….while….let’s just say a while!)
1 comments:
Thank you once again, Karen, for helping us experience Hermana Peltons's mission.
Post a Comment