Word of the week: nieva (SNOW!)
Well, this week was rather interesting, we had SNOW! It has been very very cold here, and one morning as we were gearing up to head out for the day, one of the other sisters in the house with us came into our room and said it was snowing. Now, there wasn't a lot of snow, but enough to deter us and enough ice to make us slow down our usual missionary pace. It was SO cold! We were wearing at any given moment 5-6 layers of clothing. The Argentine's are seriously afraid of the cold and all thought it was so funny that we were wearing pants under our skirts....silly them! We were warm (relatively speaking of course). It was pretty difficult to get motivated to go out and talk to people this week and honestly, there weren't a lot of people around like there usually is and I don't blame um! Needless to say, it's made for some funny picture taking!
The work this week was slower (we didn't find as many new people as we usually do) and colder than usual, but we were still too busy to do all the work by ourselves. We went on divisions twice this week just so we could get around to see all our investigators. Right now, we have 6 people that want to be baptized. Unfortunately they all have hang ups that are keeping them from being baptized at least right now. Getting people to church is the biggest challenge we face, especially since it's been so cold lately! church is at 9:30 and most Argentine's don't get out of bed till 11 am..if we're lucky! That's the acid test in my book....you can really tell that they have a testimony if they get out of bed to come to church! :)
We have wonderful ward missionaries who go out on divisions with us so anxiously! Since everyone is on a two week vacation right now, they've been available to work with us lots. This week alone we taught 8 lessons with a member present (the mission goal is 4!). My favorite lesson from the week was with a man named Roberto. He owns a Panadería (bread/bakery). (FYI--in Seattle there are Starbucks on every corner, in Argentina, there are Panaderías because everyone has bread with their meals). Anyway, he owns the bakery right down the street from our old apartment. He always gives us goodies when we come in to visit him (maybe that's why I'm gaining weight!!!). We've taught him the first lesson and this week we taught him the second lesson about the plan of salvation. We are really working with him to not say recited prayers (he's catholic like everyone here). He's become quite our friend and always kisses our hands (because we can only kiss women on the cheek here...obviously). He's pretty protective of us and makes sure that when he introduces us to his friends, he tells them right up front that they can only shake our hands. It's really helpful! I invited him to be baptized when he knows this is the true church and he said he would, as soon as I learned to talk to him in "voz" (the form of conjugation you would use when talking to close friends and family...distinct to Argentina). Needless to say, it might be a long time till he gets baptized then!!!
Wednesday night we had a family home evening with a recent convert and her 9 year old son (Daniela and her son Kevin). We taught the first lesson through song and they loved it. We had such a great time and she was so excited to learn the hymns! She is a great member and so enthusiastic and sweet. I'm excited to get to know her better.
We had a ward talent show Friday night (leading up to Ward Conference Sunday) and the 4 of us missionaries in the ward were in 3 acts! We did "A day in the life of a missionary" complete with getting bitten by a dog, eating the tradition cow intestine/stomach stew (which I will actually be trying for the first time this week....start praying for my stomach now), not understanding the language, and getting a Dear John. We also did a YMCA lip sync and dance that everyone loved
( I was the cowgirl). Hna. Sybrowsky and I also were models for paper dresses some women in the church organized. (I was the "angel"). Funny thing with this, one of the women who made the dresses was helping me put it on and was talking to me so loud! I was sure she was mad at me or something because she was nearly yelling right at me. later Hna. Sybrowsky told me that she was talking so loud to me not because she was mad, but because for some reason she thought it would help me understand better...I'm not deaf!!!! I get that a lot though, especially this week for some reason!
Saturday morning we had interviews with President and Sister Lindahl. They are so wonderful. President Lindahl is amazing and so inspired. I'm excited to get to know them better. He told me that my next companion will be a gringa. Even though he knows my Spanish is good enough, he wants me to be more settled in emotionally before dropping that one on me. I know I could do it and I know my language abilities would improve a lot, but I've been reassured many times that my language is above average for where I am in my time in the field. I'm grateful for the opportunity to really focus on becoming a missionary before tossing more Spanish challenges my way. I'm sad to be losing Hna. Sybrowsky though!
Weekly miracles:
-we contacted a woman named Nilda who was outside watering her garden (with her pet turtle roaming around too). She is at least partially blind, but was very welcoming and interested in our message. As we talked with her and shared a message about prayer, both Hna. Sybrowsky and I felt something unique and something different than we usually feel when talking to people on the street. We both felt that we really needed to come back and teach her more, that she will get baptized soon. It was so neat! As we walked away from talking with her, we both just looked at each other and stood speechless. We went by her house a few times this week but she wasn't ever there. We are excited to work more with her. We know the Lord is preparing people for us to teach, and we feel that Nilda is one of those elect the Lord has put in our path. We weren't even going to walk that way that particular day, but plans changed and things needed to be done for our new apartment that we walked a different way and ran into Nilda. What a blessing and what a wonderful experience that was!
-we went to church Sunday, disappointed that none of our investigators came to church (Despite the fact that we even woke them up!!!), but as we were going to leave, a ward member brought her 9 year old granddaughter to us and told us that the girl (Lucila) wants to be baptized! Her mother gave her permission and the grandmother volunteered to bring her to the church so we could teach her and get her baptized! We're aiming for the 31st...Hna. Sybrowsky's last weekend in the mission and the last opportunity to baptize someone this transfer! Miracles do happen!
Argentine Oddities:
-we clap at people's houses rather than knock because nearly every house has a gated patio/dirt/garden area, so we have to get there attention someway...clapping is the norm.
-buses don't really stop to pick people up or drop them off. as soon as you are on the bus, it takes off. I've even had a bus start leaving the curb as we were getting off while I was still walking down the stairs to get off...! You really have to have your whits about you on these buses....they don't waste time!
-LOTS of delicious goodies to eat, but most people here aren't overweight....I'm still trying to figure out how!
-mayo is the national condiment (OK, maybe not officially, but they put it on EVERYTHING)
-we had empanadas and Italian style pizza (a little sauce, and mozzarella cheese) for our ward activity refreshments
-we get empanadas delivered like we get pizza delivered in the states...DELICIOUS!
-dogs on roofs....could be the scariest thing in the mission so far...they bark LOUD and get really close to the edge of the roof like they are gonna jump. since every one's yards are fenced in, sometimes you don't realize they have a dog until it starts barking at you so loud that you jump...
-there are tons of DOGS here and really no cats...this week I found out why. we saw a dead cat with it's insides...well....outside....seems like something got to it. the next day the cat was gone. really gross....but question answered!
-there is no carpet in houses here....no vacuuming!
Love to you all from cold San Luis, Argentina!
Hermana Pelton
Here are some things I would like to have sent...someday :)
-Q-tips (they cost an arm and a leg here!)
-a fitted sheet (also very expensive here and my flat sheets keep fighting with me in the night)
-a mini version of my call letter (copied, shrunk, and laminated like my patriarchal blessing)--I think my call letter is on my book shelf next to my bed with all the other mission stuff I have there
-instant oatmeal
-great lash mascara (green and pink tube; brown or black but NOT waterproof)
-hot cocoa/apple cider
-easy mac 'n cheese packets
-cute post-its (little ones and regular ones)
-ziplock bags (don´t exist here....sad.....)
Please tell Aunt Laura thank you for the pillow case. I absolutely LOVE it! It makes me happy every night! LOVE IT
1 comments:
I took about 20 or so packets of hot chocolate/spiced cider from the MTC. Shoulda thought of that one. :)
Post a Comment